This is what I’ve seen from the studio this week. There are still some red leaves.
This week has seen the completion of the first section of samples from the countermarche loom. I have been evaluating and fine tuning the actual working of the loom while experimenting with different effects with wool/lycra, overtwist yarns on 2/16 wool in combination with loom controlled shibori. During the process I have also experimented with different treadlings. This has meant crawling under the loom and doing the appropriate tie ups, a difficult enough process when the warp isn’t on and even more so when in the middle of a warp. Each tie up change gave me the opportunity to do a bit more fine tuning with the mechanics of the loom till finally I have got it working more efficiently. I have implemented a system using knitting needles to secure the cord positions in the treadles. This has made changing the tie ups much quicker and easier to accomplish.
I have cut off the first set of samples and completed the dying and washing to activate the overtwist and lycra. This set of samples is going to be the basis on which I will complete the series of scarves left on this warp.
During the dying of the samples, I also took the opportunity to dye a section of bookmarks. One of these used woven shibori while the others used other folding, tying and clamping techniques. Once dyed, I “burnt” the bookmark with the woven shibori in a candle. On removing the resist threads, I discovered interesting scorch marks as opposed to burnt out patterns. What I enjoyed about this experiment is how the memory of the folds is evident once the resists are removed.
I have gained an extra class to teach as the result of Elizabeth Nagel’s accident. She unfortunately had contact with a car and has ended up in hospital. She is a remarkable lady and very positive but unfortunately it is going to take some time for her to recover from her injuries. I am enjoying the challenge of teaching a very diverse range of activities in both classes (her Tuesday one and my Saturday one) as they have been set up as student driven with each person choosing their own project. As a result, I have great diversity with for example, some working on floor rugs, scarves and wraps in different structures, a bamboo blind, and others exploring specific structures with sampling in woven shibori, basic twills and doubleweave. I am also enjoying getting to know the people in each class. They have all been very welcoming and I also received lots of advice on places to visit and things to do.
I am becoming very cultured. This week was capped off by jazz in the Joadja winery, on the way to Berrima. The performance was inside the shed with all the barrels. The surroundings added quite an interesting ambience to the event. What a delightful way to spend a Sunday afternoon!