My studio is nearly finished. What a very nice way to end the year. I am so looking forward to working in this space. To do is some tiling and then to move looms. It should be finished for the first class in the New Year. Here’s progress this month.
The painting gets done. I say goodbye to the purple wall. I need light in here to work.
The painting is finished.
And the very next day, we had heavy rain. The gutters overflowed but there I was dry inside.
Kathryn, Barb, Ann and Maggie were in the studio at the start of the month. They worked on independent projects with great results.
Kathryn experimented with 4 layers of weaving, swapping the layers around to achieve different effects.
Ann explored different 4 shaft twills.
Barb explored twills on 8 shafts.
Maggie explored woven shibori with shirts that had been cut up.
Here she is pulling out the resist threads to reveal the dyed pattern.
Fabrics washed and hung out to dry.
A very important part of any workshop is time out.
In this Festive Season, I’ve had a lovely few days weaving in the new space. I’ve got that warp to finish off.
For this next experiment, I had rethreaded the original warp on 4 shafts as I wanted to see how it would perform. The loom action for those of a technical bent is counterbalance (when two shafts go up the opposite two go down linked by a pulley system) I’d also increased the spacing of the warp. I also wanted to explore was the effectiveness of using normal treadles on this loom. Two sticks of wood as treadles were very floating and of course have a tendency to move. Maybe fixed treadles would make for more effective weaving. I have taken bits from a couple of looms to rig up these treadles. The original ones were very heavy. I knew I would have issues working the vertical storage component if it were too heavy. Of course it was much easier to weave. By the way the extra horizontal bars will be necessary if I’m to do any sort of patterned four shaft weaving.
I got to weave about 30 cm of plain weave before I came to the pattern area. OOPS! These treadles even though they are as light as possible make moving the picked up pattern to behind the shafts just way too difficult. There’s just too much weight. So back to the drawing board and I have put back on the bits of wood. Four shafts tied directly to the treadles. It works!
A comment would be though that it is much easier to transfer the picked up pattern when there are only 2 shafts. Having 4 shafts would have meant that I could do some extra patterning similar to what I had done on the draw loom. What I’ve tried here with the treadles and their inherent weight problems will mean that I’ll need to find an alternative to make that possible. Some features of a western style loom are not as efficient in this case as the original Laos loom.
Here’s my 46 stick pattern. This is a much more complex pattern than I have previously used. The piece of paper attached to the beater makes seeing the threads much easier. The purple against the dark wood is really hard to see.
Note the series of pattern sticks storing the design.
Here’s a quick preview of some of the classes starting in the New Year. Full details of these and others will be posted under “My School” soon.
18-22 January. Linen and Lace.
22-26 February (5 days) or the weekends of 20/22 and 27/28 (4 days) From profile to structure
25-29 April East Meets West and more
23-27 May Networked Twills.
27 June – 1 July Special
19 – 23 September From Parallel Threadings
This time last year I was in Canada experiencing snow. I have my own snowflakes. They seem appropriate for here.